Thursday, May 01, 2008

Gems

Sittin' on the dock of the bay

I have gems of photos to share with you today. The one above just happened as I was crossing the street on my way to a destination. It appears as if the men sitting on the ground are girl gazing, but if you look more closely, you'll notice that their gaze is actually focused on a sight farther in the distance. What I like about the picture is its relative simplicity and the story it tells.

This second photo op also just happened on my way back to the office. Since today is May 1st, there was a demonstration at Justin Herman Plaza against the war in Iraq. Somehow it is supposed to be related to labor unions. Anyhow, this woman was carry a very nice peace sign with flowers on it and many people wanted her picture, so she obliged. Not sure what the pink color stands for though. Women against the war?

I think this daily blog exercise helps me train my "eye". In other words, to become a good photographer I have to learn how to spot things that may make for a good picture. Simplicity is best. One rule I've read of is - KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Training my eye also means I need to be able to quickly realize what angles work, what shapes are in the picture, and how the whole composition works together. That's a lot to be aware of when scoping out the territory for a picture and sometimes nothing comes up, but in other instances, you just know when a picture works.

No comments:

Labels