Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bay to Breakers

Fan your feathers

Today the Bay to Breakers lurched its way through the city. It's supposed to be a race, but actually it's more like a Halloween party and carnival all mixed into one event. All the exhibitionists (figuratively & literally) were out in full force. You always get the occasional naked person walking around. Mostly people create makeshift floats or wear their wackiest outfit and parade about hoping to get attention. In this town, you have to work pretty hard to get some attention for being weird. ;-)

I'm all for having a bit of fun and wearing costumes now and then, but I think the Bay to Breakers should not allow alcohol in the race. I saw tons of people drinking beer, peeing behind the bushes, throwing cans around and just plain littering. That was just disgusting! I think the Run to the Far Side, another wacky walk that used to take place in the fall was a better alternative. You also had people dressing up, but I think the costumes there were more creative and funny. Unfortunately this race was stopped couple years ago.

I walked a bit next to the Bay to Breakers folks, but after a while the noise, chaos and hordes of partyers just got on my nerves. It was too much of a sensory overload on a Sunday morning when I prefer some peace and quiet.

P.S. - In the picture above you see a traditional Chinese knot ornament that was just hanging around.

No comments:

Labels