Saturday, May 31, 2008

Doggie

Dachshund

I went to a photography workshop today and found it extremely helpful. Because photography is a topic that I am passionate about, I had many questions for the instructor. After all, I did want to make the most of the workshop fee I paid. :)

One of the most amazing things I saw today was how to set a custom white balance when I am shooting indoor scenes. You're supposed to shoot a neutral gray colored card, which will reflect the light source in the room. This can range from incandescent light to fluorescent among others. So depending on the type of light, your camera will balance out the colors it "sees". After setting the white balance to custom, it really improves the images you take in that room because the colors become more vibrant! You can see the difference for yourself below.

Before

After

Setting the white balance is only one aspect of a good picture. The other aspect that's essential is setting the aperture and shutter speed to get the exposure you want.

Also, the instructor taught us how to use five major camera settings:
1. Exposure compensation
2. Flash mode
3. Histograms
4. Metering systems
5. Focus mode

I learned a lot in this workshop and took tons of notes. This has really whet my appetite for additional photography workshops.

No comments:

Labels