Sunday, May 25, 2008

Self reflection

Self-reflection

Are a large amount of toys necessary for kids to be happy?

Kids these days are often surrounded by more toys than they know what to do with. I grew up with only a few select toys. Sometimes on special occasions like my birthday I might have received a stuffed animal or the like. However my sister and I made up for the lack of toys by being creative. We organized sales of our stuff, performances for family, wrote newsletters, recorded stories and made up commercials and wrote and illustrated books. Lack of toys bred creativity IMHO.

As adults I think we then compensate for whatever we missed as we were children. You could say I'm compensating with my photography. My camera's my toy for the moment. :-)

CD that I recommend: U2's "All that You Can't Leave Behind"
As I blog, I'm listening to this CD. I haven't heard it in a long time, but it's definitely an oldie but goodie! The songs have meaning and Bono's voice has character.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...what are my toys now? I spend money on taking classes for fun, buying books and cds, art supplies.

Labels