Saturday, October 24, 2009

Party Politics

Autumn's Harvest

About Other Things:
I had to do a double take when I saw an article about Merkel's new cabinet members because I thought I saw an Asian-looking person in the club. I found out that he's called Philipp Roesler and was originally from South Vietnam. I'm surprised that he's made it so far and at such a young age (37 years old). That's pretty good for him and it raises the profile of Asians in Germany I guess.

While here in San Francisco, we've never even had a Chinese or Asian mayor despite the huge number of Asians in the city. That's somewhat disappointing. But you have to ask yourself as well, maybe they're just not interested in politics.

Speaking of politics, the San Francisco supervisors need to get in touch with their constituents because they are proposing new rules that don't address the city's main issues of homelessness and public transport. One rule that a supervisor suggested was that paper bags be banned. I don't think they necessarily should be banned but maybe you could make people pay for them if they want them just like in German supermarkets with plastic bags. In any case, the frustrating thing is that I wish the SF government would start fixing the big problems instead of focusing on the nice to haves. The government needs to get its priorities straight.

About the Photo: Pumpkin decorations at my friend's autumn gathering. She lives across the Bay in Oakland. This was the first time I drove over the Bay Bridge all by myself. I had my trusty GPS device with me, so I got there without a hitch despite the S-curve of they put in. Usually I hear horror stories of Oakland, but her neighborhood was fine. The cost of the toll coming back to San Francisco cost $4. Now I have the East Bay driving experience along with my South Bay driving experience. I'm a more well rounded person because of this.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Just a comment. His genes are 100% vietnamese but I read today that he has only be there once since he was 9 months old, the date where he was "handled over" to German parents.
BTW: your blog leads me to interesting investigations.
Following wikipedia Asian Americans have a high level of political incorporation in terms of their actual voting population. With less than 1% of voters they represent 1.25% of congressional population.
However, as 4.4% of the total(!!) population in the United States are Asians, this 1.25% still represents less than one-third of the total Asian American population.

frankfurtsanfrancisco said...

Too many percentages making my head spin!

Labels