Sunday, October 11, 2009

Enjoyment Now or Enjoyment Later?

Fern

I've been trying to finish Oliver Stone's film "Wall Street" this weekend, but other things keep getting in the way. It's a cult classic if you work in the business world because everyone has heard of "Gordon Gekko" and his catchphrase - "Greed is good." Also, one quote that came from the move is "Lunch is for wimps". Ha ha! Funny funny!

In addition, I've been trying to cycle through my pile of magazines. Today I read a fascinating article in the mag "New York" about cheapskates. I could relate to the article because deep down inside, I am a tightwad. I admit it. When I decide to buy things, I have a long internal dialogue with myself, weighing the pros and cons of making a purchase. For example, how much pleasure will I get from making the purchase. I'll only buy it if the utility I derive from the product is greater than the cost. Same thing applies to purchases of coffee even. I really like the expensive mixed coffee drinks that no self-respecting coffee lover would drink. Because of the high price, coffee experiences must be limited to max a couple times a month. Some people would say, it's just a coffee, but I say, the little things add up!

This attitude towards money was developed early on because I had no spending money as a kid. Growing up, money was tight, which made me aware very early on that money does not grow on trees, so it must be conserved or spent judiciously, rather than flung around. Over time though, I've developed my own delicate balance between saving and indulging. I try to indulge once in a while because denying yourself little happinesses is not good either.

No comments:

Labels