Saturday, October 31, 2009

Artist Date #2: B-I-N-G-O



My second artist date consisted of visiting a scene from my childhood. Today I attended the fall festival that my elementary school organizes annually. It is a family affair with carnival type games along the sides of the auditorium and the bingo callers up on stage.

When I first stepped into the auditorium, all of my senses were bombarded. I got a whiff of cotton candy and popcorn at the door, bingo numbers were being called out over a microphone and kiddies were running around with their parents in tow or with their own buddies.

I played two games of bingo. The first time I bought two cards for the price of 50 cents. Then the second round was blackout, meaning the entire card had to be filled. I was really close to winning blackout, but 3 people beat me to it. As each number was called, I could feel the tension mounting both within me and in the auditorium. Unfortunately I did not win any money, but it was interesting to visit a place of my past. As a kid, things seem so much larger and grand. Now that I come back after 15 years, it doesn't look that big. Also, I saw some of the teachers I had while back in elementary school and they almost looked the same. It might be the good Asian genes that keep them looking young.

I'm glad that's now out of my system. Don't need to go back for another 15 years now.

No comments:

Labels