Monday, May 04, 2009

Travelogue (Part 1)

Hidden corners

Well, I did my duty and sent out a link to my vacation pictures. It was a hard job, but it had to be done. So now I need to tell you a little about my 2 weeks in Europe.

What did I do? What were my impressions? What was my favorite moment?
I spent 11 days or so in France and then 2.5 days in Berlin this past April. Flying from SFO to Europe takes around 11 hours. When I landed in Nice, I was somewhat jetlagged, but the sun helped me adjust. My travel buddy, whom I'll call "TB" for short and I took a bus into town and the fare was only 1 EUR. Compare that to a taxi fare and you can see that we saved a ton of money.

Being in France and hearing only French took some getting used to. The weather in Nice was perfect. After dropping off our luggage at the hotel, we set off the explore the city. One thing I found out during the trip was that TB was very good at navigating through cities. My philosophy is that if someone is good at it, let them take over. After the 11 days I was just totally out of practice and that showed when I was in Berlin.

Nice has an old town and a very long promenade along the beach. It's a lively scene with people strolling the promenade or sitting down in one of the many benches, joggers and inline skaters doing their tricks. The city grew on me and I learned to appreciate the great weather there.

To be continued tomorrow...

No comments:

Labels