Monday, May 18, 2009

Desperados

View from the Top

A very irritating ad plays every morning on the Chinese radio station my mom listens to. It is a dialogue between two women speaking in Cantonese to one another. Here's a flavor of the dialogue:

Woman 1: "Wow, you're really dressed up today. What's the occasion?"
Woman 2: "Remember my niece from China? I'm going to her wedding banquet. She just came over from China recently and now she's already getting married and will have permanent residency now because I placed an ad in the Singtao newspaper."
Woman 1:"You know, my daughter she's 30 years old and doesn't even have a boyfriend. All she cares about is working."
Woman 2: "Well, then you should put a personals ad in the Singtao newspaper. It's really simple and it works."

This ad annoys me to no end because it puts ideas into my parents' heads. That's not a good thing. Maybe I should pay Singtao double their advertising revenues from this ad just to stop them from playing it multiple times each morning. ;-)

The picture above is the view from one of the many breathtaking vantage points on Angel Island. I'd highly recommend a little hiking excursion to any of visitors to SF if they have time to spare.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. I like "puts ideas in my parents' heads". How do you know they're getting ideas from the ad?

Labels