Sunday, May 17, 2009

Angel Island - Heavenly Views

Angel Island Sign

Today I spent an afternoon hiking on Angel Island. I don't know why they call it Angel Island because for a while it was a detention camp for Chinese immigrants before they could get to San Francisco. For the detainees, it was probably more like devil island. Anyway, we didn't have time to visit the detention camp. Instead we hiked for close to 4 hours. My sore feet and knees are evidence of this.

Weatherwise, it was so hot this afternoon, but I was well equipped for the sun. My weapons of defense included a baseball cap, sunglasses, sunscreen and 2 bottles of water, one of them frozen. We went up the Sunset Trail and came down the Northridge Trail. It was funny because you could tell we were all city slickers and wouldn't last a day in the wilderness. We had to ask park rangers for directions twice.

Once we got up to the top though, the views were excellent. I could see the San Francisco skyline, the East Bay, Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge. Also because the weather was so nice, many white boats dotted the blue waters. The hike was worth it because it was good exercise, I met a bunch of nice people and most importantly, the hike kept me away from my laptop, which is a good thing!

No comments:

Labels