Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Seattle - People Watching

Dancing with Strangers

Seattle had some interesting people watching. One of my observations is that many people wore Northface clothing such as black jackets and vests, etc. I was wondering the whole time where Northface was headquartered, so I did some research. Apparently, 2 people gave birth to the Northface idea right here in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood. (Yay for San Francisco!) Now they are in San Leandro, CA. The Seattle area, however, has spawned its own corporate conglomerates such as Boeing, Amazon.com, Nordstrom and Starbucks of course.

Another observation I made was that I saw a number of men wear kilts when I was in Seattle. Actually, they were not your normal Scottish plaid kilts. Instead they were utilikilts, favored by Goth types. It's an interesting fashion choice. Why would men want to wear skirts? I haven't worn one since I was in middle school thank goodness. I can't stand skirts and dresses because it makes getting in and out of cars so difficult.

One good place to people watch was the Northwest Folklife Festival that happened over Memorial Day weekend. The mix of people out and about was just amazing. You had young people, old people, people of different colors, etc. There were people giving away free hugs. I have no idea what that was all about. Why would I want a free hug from a total stranger?! Anyway, the festival featured performances and dancing from various cultures. The picture above portrays people dancing to Greek music I think. It was fascinating to see people dancing as a huge group. I don't know if these guys are part of a huge club or if they were just onlookers who got up and joined in the dancing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read more about free hugs here:

http://www.freehugscampaign.org/

Labels