Sunday, February 01, 2009

San Francisco Asian Art Museum

Heads

The Asian Art Museum in San Francisco offers visitors free entrance the first Sunday of each month as this is financially supported by Target Corp. I took advantage of this opportunity this Sunday because a group was going to meet up there. Seeing as how I haven't been expanding my social network lately, I decided to go.

The Asian is currently located in the Civic Center area, right across from City Hall. I must say that the area looks really run down now and probably would scare visitors who are not used to living in a moderately big city. There were many homeless people sitting around just watching. Plus, the street smelled unsavory, which caused me to walk quickly to my destination.

One of the things I like about museums is the architecture - the high ceilings, bright courtyards with skylights and the Asian Art Museum does not disappoint in this regard. Architecturally it combines modernity with a Beaux Arts center. To make the most of your visit, the museum encourages you to take the escalator all the way up to the 3rd floor and then work your way down. It's somewhat counter-intuitive, but apparently this sequence would roughly parallel Buddhism's spread throughout Asia as India, Southeast Asia, China, Korea and Japan is the order of the galleries.

Photography is allowed as long as no flash is used. See the Buddha heads I photographed above. More Asian art to be featured in the following days.

No comments:

Labels