Monday, February 16, 2009

No Rest for the Wicked


While the rest of America had the day off (President's Day), we had to go to work. So understandably it was very quiet in the Financial District today.

So I was sitting in my cube working (yes, working) when this new person checked into the cube next to me. It's always interesting to see who my neighbor will be every day since my cube was vacated by a manager who got promoted into an office. A rotating cast of characters sit there. Today it was someone I had never met before. I peeked over and noticed she had black hair.

When she spoke on the phone, I happened to notice her accent and speech pattern. It had a slightly British cadence to it and the pronunciation of the "o's" were weird. From what I could deduce, she was an auditor. Because I am very interested in languages and accents, I found myself trying to emulate her accent and pronunciation of words.

Finally, as the day came to a close, I decided to break the silence and ask her where her accent came from. Mystery solved - my assumption was wrong. She's actually from Sydney, Australia, rather than England! I really have a hard time distinguishing between English and Australian/New Zealand accents.

No comments:

Labels