Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Good riddance!


Modeling Seagull

I was glad to read that the city has decided to clean up the annual Bay to Breakers race that happens every year. It's usually quite a spectacle with many of the runners in costume or sitting on floats. Some of the "runners" if you can call them that, walk around naked. Funny thing is that it's usually those who should do it least that walk around naked on the public streets.

I found myself in the middle of all this bacchanalia last year and was disgusted by the many kegs of alcohol I saw on the floats and the public urination. It's like a huge frat party gone wrong. According to the SF Chronicle, there will be a ban on nudity, alcohol and floats. I'm fine if the runners wear costumes, but the rest of it needs to be cleaned up.

On another note, I've been trying to find an organization that I can volunteer at but so far nothing very promising has come up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that volunteering is more popular in the US than in Germany. One reason I'd like to volunteer is to build up my leadership skills. Plus, it's good to be able to give something back to the community. I just need to find an organization that I want to support with my time and energy.

No comments:

Labels