Monday, November 30, 2009

Zen


Caveat: Although the following post discusses Buddhist concepts, it should not be construed as a post to convert anyone to this religion.

While at the Asian Art Museum, I listened to an audio description of Zen. I agree with one of the main characteristics of this school of Buddhism, which is to be mindful in all of your activities, even when carrying out seemingly mundane activities like washing dishes or sweeping the floor. Per the Wiki, a life of Zen is a "life of humility; a life of labor; a life of service; a life of prayer and gratitude; and a life of meditation." I try to practice the mindfulness aspect in my day to day life because it helps me to appreciate the moment, instead of dwelling on the past or worrying about the future.

While in college I took a class on Asian civilization and philosophy. One of the main messages that has stayed with me today is the Buddhist statement that the root of all suffering is desire. I agree with this statement because it seems so true just by examining our personal lives and the going-ons in the broader world. By freeing yourself from desire, you are one step closer to reducing your suffering. I also wanted to share this site I found on the BBC that covers the main concepts of Buddhism. In my opinion, this philosophy sounds much more peaceful than some of the other mainstream religions which tend to focus on conversion and evangelism.

No comments:

Labels