Friday, November 06, 2009

Anniversary

Mystery Man

I've been back in the United States for almost 2 years now. The end of November will be my anniversary date. It's gone by relatively quickly.

There were several reasons for my decision to return to the U.S. Firstly, my 2 year transfer was over. When I first signed my contract with the German firm, it was for two years. Secondly, I felt that my time was well spent and that I had accomplished a lot during those two years. A part of me felt that I should leave while I was still ahead and things were looking up. (This is similar to TV shows. Some should really stop while they're still good.) Another consideration for me in returning to the States was that my chances for promotion or at least earning more were higher in my native country than in a foreign country. After all, it was not always easy communicating with clients in a foreign language. I had to make a much greater effort. Why set myself for such an uphill battle and make things so hard for myself? Finally, I also considered getting more involved in artistic pursuits.

Now that two years have passed, where am I now? I look back to interesting project at my old firm that took me to many unusual corners of the U.S. Now, in my new position, I am finally in a place that I think will give me more time for other pursuits aside from work. I'm really trying to nourish this neglected side of my life. Although I haven't really broken into the art scene here either, I can dream, no?

Oh yes, I will also be able to apply for the return of the funds I contributed to the German retirement system now that I've been back 2 years. I hope it will be a large windfall.

No comments:

Labels