Monday, June 22, 2009

For Love or Money

Reaching for the Light

I am excited because I made my first sale of a print today! My client purchased the photo "Old Blue Eyes", which can be seen on my website under "New Arrivals".

I learned some lessons while preparing this print for her. First of all, it is important to create your own border for the picture so that nothing important on the picture gets cropped. Also, you should confirm, confirm and reconfirm dimensions with your client before ordering the print.

In other matters, I've been thinking about things. Sometimes, I feel like things are stagnant and I need to move forward. It was triggered by one of my old middle school classmates announcing on LinkedIn that she just became an MBA candidate at Wharton. I'm not sure I'm that interested in pursuing that route. However, I am considering pursuing a certificate in visual arts. If I do decide to go ahead with that, it would be one of the few instances in which I'm doing something I really enjoyed, and not just for the sake of duty.

When it comes to jobs, the unfortunate observation I've made is that enjoyable jobs don't pay well and jobs that do pay well don't give you enough time to do things you enjoy. So the question boils down to - are you willing to take the pay cut? If yes, what job can you do if you don't want to be an administrative assistant, but want the 9-5 regularity that will give you the freedom to pursue outside interests? That's a major decision that everyone will have to answer for him/herself and I know a number of people who are grappling with this existential question at the moment.

The only thing I would say is to try to take it a day at a time and always be hopeful and reach for the light. Somehow, we'll muddle through and be on the path we were meant to be on.

No comments:

Labels