Monday, September 28, 2009

Starry Starry Night

Nightscape

Downtown San Francisco's streets are scary even by day, so you can imagine how it can be at night when it's dark. I wouldn't have felt comfortable going on a photo shoot on my own, but luckily a friend of mine joined me. There are a lot of disturbed people who haunt the streets day and night. On one hand I feel sorry for their plight. On the other, my acute sense of self-preservation kicks in and I avoid them like the plague because their instability could lead to anything. Call me paranoid.

Although Frankfurt am Main in Germany supposedly has one of the highest crime rates in the country, the streets at night felt less creepy when I was there. Oh, how I think back fondly to my little attic apartment in Frankfurt sometimes with a supermarket conveniently across the street from my place. My only gripes were that the there was no elevator and it sometimes got really warm there during the rare days when the temperatures rose. Ah ... memories!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Statistics about crime rates in Frankfurt are definitely misleading. The reason why crime rate in this city is higher compared to other German cities is mainly due to the airport (smuggling etc...) and the high rate of businee headquarters (business crime..). I really appreciate the security in Germany a lot, I do not remember any neighborhood I ever felt uncomforbale in, even late in the night.

Best greetings to the great artist and photographer :-)

S

frankfurtsanfrancisco said...

Thank you for your comment. Two points I'd like to add -

1. I think men and women have a different perception of the safety of streets at night. A man walking down a street will feel less like prey than a woman might. Just my two cents. Although I do agree that it generally tends to feel safer over there in Deutschland, not that it should lull people into a false sense of security though. It's good to be aware of your surroundings regardless of where you are.

2. The city of Munich seems to have a problem with people being beat up at U-Bahn stations. I always read about stories of young thugs literally kicking people when they're down. The most tragic story of a man who was killed because he stood up to bullies who were bother school children and taking their money. How sad

Labels