Saturday, March 21, 2009

Lessons in Lightroom

Rayko

I finally signed up for a Lightroom (LR) workshop at Rayko Photo Center in downtown San Francisco. The location is perfect because the bus that I take stops directly across from this place. There were 9 students in the class. Most of the students were on the older side, which isn't an issue if they didn't slow down the class with basic computer questions. There was this one woman I found somewhat annoying because her questions were very blunt and not phrased very nicely. For example, she would point blank say to the instructor "I have no idea what I'm looking at." She would not even raise her hand.

Aside from that I found myself learning a lot. I'm glad I took the course because it's always nice to have someone show you the ropes instead of having to stumble through all of them blindly. Plus, the instructor gave us practical tips along the way.

All in all, Lightroom is an amazing little software program for photographers because it can process many photos in a short amount of time. It works like magic for making non-destructive edits to photos.

Topics we covered included:
1. Catalogs
2. Collections
3. The difference between catalogs and collections
4. 5 modules in LR
5. File naming best practice
6. Importing photos
7. How to rename photos (My personal favorite because I need to do this)
8. Rating photos via flags, stars, and color labels
9. Sorting
10. Key words

Only thing that is difficult to deal with is the fact that I'm spending almost my entire weekend sitting in front of a computer screen, which is already what I do the rest of the week at work. I'll be back at it tomorrow, wide-eyed, bushy tailed and ready to learn. Bring it on!

No comments:

Labels