Saturday, March 28, 2009

Are you afraid of the dark?

Chinese tamale

About the picture: This is a photo of a Chinese tamale, also known as "joong" in the Cantonese language. Essentially, it is a meal wrapped in bamboo leaves. It contains sticky rice, peanuts, pork, salted egg and mung beans, whatever they are. They're a nice diversion from the usual rice we have for dinner. For an article and recipe, click here.

About other events: Tonight from 8:30 - 9:30 PM, we've been encouraged at my company to shut the lights in support of Earth Hour. I just read an article from spiegel.de, that most of Germany did not participate in this symbolic gesture. The city of Hamburg was an exception. It's somewhat interesting, but I guess Germany is far enough along environmentally that participating in Earth Hour would not be very significant. In the same article, it stated some feel that Earth Hour was only put on so that people could feel less guilty about their energy usage. Of course Earth Hour is not going to save the environment, but it is strong symbolism.

I did my part by shutting out the light in the room I was in and going into another that was already lighted. But then shortly thereafter I turned my laptop on to finish this blog.

No comments:

Labels