Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Memorable Moments


Top of the World

One of the more memorable moments of my trip to Hawaii was finally reaching the top of Diamond Head and looking at the vast scene in front of me. The hike to the top is supposed to take around 1-1.5 hrs. The difficult part of the hike is that the path is uneven and it's quite steep at certain points. When you get close to the top, you have to crouch in order to get to the viewing platforms outside. It's hard to describe.

In addition, I enjoyed sitting on the veranda to watch the sun set. It was very comfortable to sit there in cushioned lounge chairs and admire the dazzling sunset sky. Just for a moment the golden light made me forget about my concerns, worries, etc. and allowed me to focus on the beauty of the moment.

Finally, memorable in a not so good way was the sheer number of times that I was mistaken for a Japanese person. Once I was at the food court looking at a menu posted on the wall when the girl behind the counter helpfully volunteered that they have Japanese menus. Then on the catamran, the guy asked if we understood English. Uh ... I would hope so!
Another instance was when I was in the hotel gift shop and I wanted to ask the saleslady if they sell postage stamps. She asked, are those postcards going to Japan? Uh... No! And please don't assume that just because I look Asian that I am Japanese!!

Finding a cockroach in my room was memorable too, but in a negative way. Ha ha!

No comments:

Labels