Monday, September 15, 2008

Welcome to my 'hood

Street sign

For my photography class, I need to shoot pictures of a neighborhood. It doesn't necessarily need to be my own, so I could've chosen neighborhoods that are easy to photograph like Chinatown, Nob Hill or the Haight. However, I chose to challenge myself by taking pictures of my own little neighborhood.

Over the next few days you will see a number of photos that feature scenes around the neighborhood. It will be accompanied by my witty commentary as always. ;-)

First let me start by saying that most people who have lived in San Francisco for a long time have never heard of my neighborhood. It's largely residential and the people who live here come from very diverse backgrounds. You have Asians, African Americans, Latinos, Filipinos, etc. all coexisting here. Caucasians are minorities in this part of town. This is one of the reasons that this part of the city has a rough reputation. Of the few people who have heard of this neighborhood, they think it's very dangerous with gangbangers on every corner. Actually I've lived here almost all of my life and it's not THAT bad.

P.S. - For all you political junkies out there who missed Tina Fey's impersonation of Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live, check it out here on Salon.com > Click here. It's quite funny and she is a deadringer.

No comments:

Labels