Friday, September 05, 2008

Boston - Up Close & Personal

North End Feast Days

The Freedom Trail also took us into the North End, a lively part of town where many Italians live. Since my sister is a total Italophile*, she dragged me to the North End to see the festival of the saints that goes on every summer, every year. On the day we visited, people were celebrating the Feast of Saint Anthony, pictured above.

It was your traditional street fair. There were games, food, crowds and weird stuffed animals you can win if you're good at carnival type games. Of course the statue of the saint is a big attraction as well. People flock to pin a dollar to the statue. I didn't do that, but my sister wanted to and she did.

[I interrupt this blog for a special announcement: An earthquake just happened! The kitchen table shook. You heard it here first.]

Keep in mind that St. Anthony is the patron saint of lost things. That evening back at the hotel, my sister found 30 EUROs stuffed into a jacket pocket. It was from her last trip to Europe . Is that a coincidence or what?

More Bostonian adventures to follow ...

Stay tuned!

*I was kind of surprised, but the term Germanophile exists. I think I would describe myself as one, in addition to being a Anglophile. :-)

1 comment:

Nomad Turtle said...

Thanks for the comment, it is nice to see I wasn't the only tourist at St. Anthony's. Why don't you upload your pictures bigger? I'm impressed that you found games, I completely missed these, where were they, Hannover Street? I always intentionally avoid Hanover St when I go to north end because I know it is so touristy.

Labels