Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Boston - Getting to Know You

T-shirts

On Saturday morning, my sister and I ventured out into the real Boston. No more sheltered and air-conditioned malls for us! Our ambitious goal of the day was to finish the Freedom Trail, which is a red bricked line, sometimes it's painted, that leads visitors past the most famous buildings and sights in Boston.

It always takes me forever to finish walking down a block on the first day in a new city because I want to take pictures of everything that catches my eye. As you can see from the picture above, my eye wandered over to a heavily laden T-shirt stand. T-shirts of every size, shape and color were for sale. I noticed that many people in Boston sport shirts with either Harvard or the Boston Red Sox on it.

By the way, guess what we had for dinner that first night? You'll never guess. It was food from California Pizza Kitchen, which was conveniently located in the Prudential Shopping Center. Specifically we ordered a BBQ chicken salad and a Wild Mushroom Pizza that was so tasty. Since I'm no foodie, it doesn't bother me when I don't eat at fancy schmanzy restaurants that are expensive. Live frugally whenever possible, but don't scrimp on the important things is my motto.

The Freedom Trail starts close to the Boston Common, a beautifully maintained public park in the heart of the city. There were benches where people could sit back and take it all in or people watch. Since the weather was warm, people were out in full force. Actually, from the direction of the Sheraton we were staying at, we came upon the Public Garden first. This garden has a statue of George Washington on horseback and some bronze duckling statues. Here is a picture of Georgie in the park.


To be continued...


No comments:

Labels