Saturday, August 23, 2008

Photo 51

From Dawn till Dusk

City College of San Francisco offers a photography course for beginners called Photo 51. I spent my entire Saturday there soaking up as much info as possible on this first day. There was tons of stuff to absorb like a sponge - lab rules, schedules for the rest of the semester, hand outs to pick up, supplies to buy, etc.

I think I'll learn a lot from this, but it's tough sitting in a room for 6 hours on a Saturday. In addition, the teacher is very strict. Absolutely no talking or side conversations when she is talking. While I understand the courtesy behind this, some of these conversations are perfectly valid. For example, what if I just wanted to find out what page we're on? My neighbor is perfectly qualified to tell me. I don't need to interrupt the teacher for something simple like that.

Regardless, I think the assignments will be fun and it will "force" me to spend time focusing on photography. That's the value of classes. By the way, you see a picture of the NYC skyline above. It was taken while on the spirit cruise. I love the gradation of colors in the sky going from blue to pink.

No comments:

Labels