Thursday, August 28, 2008

Networking

Glasses

I went to a networking event this evening and volunteered for the German American Business Association (GABA). This was my first time getting involved with them. I had a good time. I get a chance to expand my general knowledge when I attend these events. Here's a bunch of random stuff I learned & people I met:

- A guy from Pet Express who helps transport pet for expats and others who move internationally. They handle all the paper work and administrative matters of transporting an animal. The most difficult animals they transported were elephants and giraffes. Generally they deal with cats and dogs though.
- An office manager from Accent on Languages who manages translators and interpreters. Interesting fact learned was that translators get paid by the word and interpreters make more money than translators.
- A female entrepreneur who advises clients on insurance matters like key person insurance, etc.
After I mentioned that I was looking for organizations to get involved with, she recommended that I join the Financial Women's Association for great events and networking opportunities.
- The project manager for GABA introduced me to someone from Women in Business.
- A couple of people who work for Antenna, a consultancy that does PR for renewable energy companies.

Overall, it was an interesting event and I expanded my horizons.

No comments:

Labels