Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Beach volleyball & bikinis

I'm Walking on Sunshine

Now that the Olympics are over, this is the perfect time to blog about the sport beach volleyball!
My biggest pet peeve about the sport would be the uniforms. Do they really HAVE to wear two piece bikinis to play the sport effectively or do they just want to flaunt their toned bodies to the rest of us less blessed mortals?

They claim that the benefits of bikinis are that they enable the players to stretch better and prevent sand from getting in their swimsuits were they to wear one piece suits. I don't buy it. Their counterparts in normal volleyball play the game fine in tank tops and shorts.

Speaking of sports, I must say that I really disliked Physical Education (P.E.) in high school and couldn't wait for it to be optional in my junior and senior years of high school. Firstly, I didn't appreciate having to change into my gym clothes in a communal space in the locker room. Secondly, I've always had a fear of being hit by balls. Hence my intense dislike of volleyball. When a ball was lobbed over the net, I had no intention of diving for it to prevent the ball from hitting the ground. The only sport I partially liked was tennis.

School systems need to reform P.E. and make it relevant to modern day lives. For instance, they could encourage teens to do yoga, martial arts, aerobics, dancing or use exercise equipment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did this fear of balls come from? What if I throw a bunch of balls at you now?

frankfurtsanfrancisco said...

If you had been hit by a basketball and had your glasses knocked off, you'd be scared out of your socks as well.

Labels