Saturday, April 04, 2009

Sausalito

View from the Ferry

My personal experience in Sausalito today was a mixed bag. Weatherwise, it was picture perfect, but Sausalito is so compact that I'm not sure there is much to do there aside from taking pictures and eating.

I took the Golden Gate Ferry from the Ferry Building departing San Francisco at 10:40 AM and arriving in Sausalito at 11:10 AM. A one way adult ticket on the ferry costs $7.45. As I approached Sausalito via the ferry, I was impressed by the beautiful green hill dotted with homes. Sausalito has a quaint small town feel to it. Also, it reminded me of Monterey and Carmel and bit because of the proximity to the water and the boutique-ishness of the city. Sausalito has small shops, expensive looking homes facing the bay and SF skyline and many people pampering their dogs.

After landing in Sausalito, I met up with other photography enthusiasts and wandered along the Bridgeway along the water to take pictures of whatever caught our fancy. After about 1.5 hours of shooting, we had a lunch break, after which we then headed to the marina to photograph the numerous yachts bobbing in the water. Food in Sausalito can be pricey. We walked along the Bridgeway until we found a place selling sandwiches and hotdogs. I had a hot dog, which cost me a bit less than $5.

My overall review of Sausalito using the scale - (1 star decent, 2 stars kind of good, 3 stars very good)

Overall ambience: 2 stars (I liked the walkway along the water and the small town feel)
Views of San Francisco skyline: 1 star (views are better from Alcatraz!)
People watching: 2 stars
Food: N/A I had a hot dog
Shopping: N/A I didn't buy anything
Museums: N/A I didn't visit any
Must-see level: 1 (Visit Sausalito if you have a free afternoon, but don't sweat it if you don't have time)

No comments:

Labels