Saturday, April 26, 2008

Vessels


Bowls in the cupboard

Proust question of the day:
What would you like to become when you grow up?

I could answer this so many ways. My first dream job was a house painter. Then I moved away from that dream and decided I wanted to become a detective or archaeologist. This was inspired largely by the Scooby Doo cartoon series, in which a group of pesky teenagers and a talking dog named Scooby Doo drove around in their van called the Mystery Machine and solved mysteries.
Great cartoon!

Archaeology interests me to this day because it involves traveling to far-flung destinations to unearth treasures and historical mysteries. Having an aspect of adventure in a job would be awesome! I think it's probably less exciting than most people imagine it, but still it's pretty cool if you can claim at a cocktail party, hey, I'm an archaeologist. Sounds definitely cooler than - I'm a banker, a lawyer, etc.

Being a detective would be kind of cool too. My current job incorporates an aspect of this because I'm working in an area where we investigate allegations of fraud. In essence, you could say that I'm a detective in the business area. Instead of looking at crime scenes, we get to read emails and examine Excel schedules. The more experienced fraud investigators interview the potential fraudsters. In my opinion, the field of forensic accounting is one of the most exciting in the business world. The whole Enron debacle pushed forensic accountants to the fore of public attention.

Other interesting jobs would be a travel photographer, or travel writer. What makes this job appealing? It combines travel and picture taking - two personal passions.

No comments:

Labels