Monday, December 14, 2009

Discretion

Another late night posting because I was working at home. I put in 3 hours this evening. I don't mind it that much at this point because I'm still relatively new and still need to prove my worth. Plus, I enjoy the creative aspects of my work. I say creative because I get a lot of free reign to design processes and reports. The ID theft program is still relatively young and flexible, so I get to impose my vision on many things.

Anyhow, I really need my time to work at home because during the work day, I'm always interrupted by this or that. I lose most of my productive time by transitioning from one project to another or answering emails. There was a great Harvard Business Review article recently on managing information overload. It covered the many different theories out there on how to productively managing overflowing email inboxes. Some people recommend having a clean inbox. Others advocate the one-touch rule meaning you should deal with an email the first time around rather than have it languish in your inbox. I try to apply both of these rules to a certain extent.

What are your secrets for dealing with information and email overload?

About the Picture: I took this with my built in BlackBerry camera, so that's why resolution is poor. However, I am really learning to love the discreet nature of photographing with camera phones. It's less obvious than pulling out a big old dSLR and can you can take more spontaneous pictures.

No comments:

Labels