Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Assertiveness Training!

Festive Cable Car

Having been at my previous company for so many years, I tend to maintain the "service provider" mindset. We were always supposed to please the client, meet or exceed their expectations and basically ask "How high?" when the client said "Jump!"

Now that I'm in industry and find myself in the client role, I need to learn to take a client mindset and be more assertive in protecting my department's needs. For example, I am working with the marketing department on updating a brochure. Considering we have a limited budget for printing the brochures, I suggested taking a risk based approach to distributing the brochures. Higher risk branches get more brochures delivered to them. Marketing said that it would be more expensive and in general tried to dissuade me from that idea. Of course Marketing just wants to save themselves some headaches. So instead of just agreeing with Marketing, I need to defend my department's interests and inform marketing that we want a estimate of how much more it would cost for the risk based approach and we will make the business decision of what route to take. I should not let Marketing or other departments dictate what makes sense for our department just because they are trying to avoid extra work. That's where I need to be more firm in standing my ground instead of always giving in.

This is a good lesson. I will take this example to heart.

No comments:

Labels