Saturday, January 12, 2008

Simple


The weather in San Francisco finally cleared up today and the sun also made an appearance, so I spontaneously decided to venture out to test my camera. Armed with my trusty black Manhattan Portage shoulder bag, the camera, and the book "Walking San Francisco", I set out to "see" the familiar streets of SF in a new light.

I spent most of my time strolling the Embarcadero where extremely nice waterfront promenades, complete with bench seating and hanging flower baskets are accessible to the public 24 hours a day. You can soak up some rays here if you don't mind the wind.

Being at the Ferry Building, I could not resist peeking inside at the charming shops and specialty stores. Everything about the Ferry Building screams "Organic!", "High-end!", "Do I really need this or is it just packaged attractively and smell really good?" All facetiousness aside, it is quite a nice market that I would highly recommend to locals and tourists alike. To find out more, click the following link http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/
(Tip: For organic pastries that taste just right and natural (i.e. not sickeningly sweet) try Frog Hollow Farm)

As I was walking along, with a camera around my neck, and book in hand, a funny thing happened. In fact, it happened twice. I was asked if I needed directions. Me - a native San Franciscan! Apparently the Scottish flag patch on my black bag sent the message that I might possibly be from that land. A second time, I was standing at an intersection thumbing through the book when I was approached with an offer of help. Both times I graciously declined and thanked the people. They may be wondering nonetheless what this strange person is doing exploring and taking photos of her own city. Horrors! Only tourists do that!

By following the walk recommended in the book, I actually was led to a new little corner I had never seen before. With nice clean wooden benches, a small stream and plenty of trees, this public space was an extension of Levi Strauss Plaza. This goes to show - you learn something new everyday!

Taking stock of my excursion, it's clear to me that I need to pay attention to the available lighting much more when I am taking pictures and learn to adjust my camera settings accordingly. Also I've learned that I look like a tourist! It's quite fun. You should do it sometime as well.

No comments:

Labels